3 tablespoons of cornstarch
4 tablespoons of sugar, add more if not sweet enough for your family
2 cans (454 gram size) pitted dark cherries and their juice
Rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon, in large pieces.
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup cognac or brandy warmed
Vanilla ice cream for eight
1. Combine cornstarch and sugar.
2. Measure cherry juice and add enough port wine to make 2 cups liquid.
3. Mix cornstarch/sugar and liquid in a small saucepan, add rind and cook, stirring with a whisk, until thick and smooth. Remove rind and discard. Add cherries and lemon juice. Stir well. Cherries Jubilee may be made in advance up to this point. I sometimes make it a day ahead.
4. At the time of serving, add warmed cognac or brandy and set cherry mixture aflame.
5. Serve, while still flaming, over ice cream.