Prep time: 50 minutes prep and rising time
Cooking time: 50 minutes baking time
Yield: 2 loaves
3 cups very warm but not hot water, 105-115 degrees F
1 tablespoon dry active yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
3 cups of white flour
2 1/2 -3 cups of whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon salt
1. Mix together in a large bowl and allow to bubble up and foam: the yeast, sugar and warm water. Wait a few minutes until the yeast starts to work then add the vinegar and oil.
2. In another bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, white flour and salt. Now add cup by cup the dry ingredients to the yeast and water mixture. The dough will still be a little bit wet and spongy.
3. Cover with a damp tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes or until is has doubled in size.
4. Using a large spoon or spatula, spoon out and divide evenly into 2 well greased loaf pans. Using your fingers if needed, press the sides down, helping to create the perfect loaf shape. (do not knead)
5. With a knife make 2 or 3 diagonal shallow incisions in the loaves.
6. Bake the loaves about 50 minutes at 375 degrees F or until they are golden brown and crusty on top and sound hollow when you tap on the underside.
7. Let sit if you can wait, for at least 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with butter.