This recipe is convenient for dinner parties because you can make it up to a day ahead of time and then just bake it off before dinner. The more you can make ahead of time the better in regards to dinner parties, then you have more time to socialize with your guests!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 (3 pound) head cauliflower, cut into large florets.
4 tablespoons of (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided into individual tablespoons
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups hot milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
3. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture and then use a whisk to take out any lumps. Then stir until it comes to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute or until thickened.
4. Off the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup of the Gruyere cheese, and the Parmesan.
5. Still off the heat, add raw cut up cauliflower to the cheese/milk mixture. Coat cauliflower well. Pour the entire mixture into a 8 x 11 baking dish.
6. Mix the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Gruyere cheese together and sprinkle on top of the cauliflower mixture. Melt the last 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the gratin. You can hold at this point and bake off later or the next day. If next day, cool down, cover and then refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature the next day before baking off.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top is browned and bubbly and the cauliflower is fork tender.
8. Let cool 5 minutes before serving and enjoy a great way to get vegetables in your diet.