I made this cheese sauce last night for our broccoli- broccoli is very good for you but I get tired of it with just butter, salt and pepper. Classically this is done on the stovetop- but it’s so easy to do in the microwave and the chance of burning is practically zero, so I thought it would be an easy one for everyone.
Yield: about 1 cup of sauce
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup of milk (skim,1%, 2%, whole, half and half or cream or a mix)
1 cup of grated cheese- gruyere, cheddar..whatever you like
Salt and pepper to taste
You will need a 2 cup measuring cup.
1. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to measuring cup. Melt in microwave.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of flour, mix in very well, so no lumps, with a little whisk.
Now slowly whisk in 1 cup of milk.
3. Scrap all the flour butter mixture off the sides of the measuring cup.
4. Cook in microwave for 1 minute, take out after minute and mix well. Put in microwave again for another minute, then bring out and mix well. Should be getting pretty thick at this point.
5. Add 1 cup of grated cheese, we used gouda last night, but white chedder, orange cheddar, any cheese with a little bite to it will taste great.
6. Heat up for 1 more minute in microwave, mix well and add salt and pepper for taste if needed.
If you need more sauce, double everything and use a four cup measuring cup or a bowl with 4 cup capacity.