Prep time: 8 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: 2 dozen
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
4 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 325 degrees F if you are using a convection oven)
2. Whisk eggs in a bowl until well beaten. Beat in sugar, vanilla and salt. Mix well. Then stir in the sweetened coconut, making sure the coconut is completely moistened, mix really well.
3. Place small mounds ( about 1 tablespoon each) of the batter on the parchment lined baking sheet, about 8 per baking sheet, space apart well.
4. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool.
5. Put the finely chopped chocolate in a medium stainless steel bowl. Take a small pot and put about 2 inches of water in it and bring to a simmer. Put bowl of chocolate on top of the pot and let the chocolate melt, mix a little to get the lumps out. Turn the heat off under the pot. Let the chocolate thicken up and cool down for a few minutes.
6. Dip or spread the bottoms of the macaroons in the melted chocolate and place the macaroons, chocolate side down, on a clean parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate the cookies for about one hour, or until the chocolate hardens. Store the macaroons in the refrigerator.