Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
4 tablespoons of grapeseed oil or whatever oil you prefer
3 pounds of chicken breast cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger- I freeze my ginger when I buy it. It makes it much easier to grate, try it.
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 tablespoon agave syrup or sugar if that’s what you prefer.
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
1 cup of coconut milk
1 1/2 cups of cream (replace with yogurt for a lower calorie dish)
1. Heat a medium sized, heavy bottomed pot to medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and then half of the chopped chicken. Brown the chicken for about 5 minutes. Remove to side plate. Add the rest of the oil and then the last half of the chicken. Brown again for about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and place with the rest of the chicken on the side.
2. Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the butter. When the butter is melted add all of the spices and cook for about 1 minute, until they become fragrant and you can smell them.
3. Add the chicken back into the pot and coat the chicken well with the spices.
4. Add the coconut milk, cream(or yogurt) and lime or lemon juice. Bring up to a simmer and then turn the heat down to low. Simmer the butter chicken for about 1 hour. Season with salt and agave syrup or sugar to your taste.
5. Serve with basmati or jasmine rice.