How To Cook Quinoa and an Easy Quinoa Recipe
Quinoa: Delicious nutty flavor, quick & easy, nutritious, high protein
Quinoa Nutrition: The most protein of any grain, great source of vitamins & minerals – iron, magnesium, Vit E, potassium, amino acids, fiber – ideal for vegetarian or vegan diets.
Prep & Cook Time: 5 minutes prep, 15 minutes cook time
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Data, 1 cup cooked quinoa: 155 cal, 30g carb, 3g fat, 5.5g protein, 3g fiber, estimated glycemic load 18
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- Optional: 1/4 tsp salt
- You’ll need a 2 quart pot with a tight fitting lid, and a fine mesh strainer.
- Double the recipe if you want to have leftover quinoa for another meal or two.
- Optional: Soak the quinoa for 5 min in the cooking pot. Soaking helps quinoa to cook evenly, and loosens up any residue of saponin (usually removed in processing), which can give a bitter taste.
- Most quinoa sold in the US these days has been cleaned, and steamed to remove the saponin, but you should still rinse it off at home.
- To Rinse: Stir the quinoa with your hand, and carefully pour off the rinsing water, using a fine mesh strainer.
- Drain quinoa well in the strainer, transfer to the cooking pot, add 1 1/2 cups water & 1/2 tsp salt if you like.
- Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit five minutes with the lid on.
- Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and serve.