My sister-in-law Terry made this delicious garlic soup last night for dinner. She added homemade croutons and shaved parmesan as a garnish which gave it some texture and added flavor. It’s not a complicated recipe and it is heartier than it sounds, just a light salad as an accompaniment works.
Prep time: 30-35 minutes to slice up onions, bake off garlic bulbs and separate roasted garlic from bulbs
Cooking time: 30 minutes
12 bulbs of garlic- tops cut off, drizzle with oil and roast for 30 minutes in 350 F oven
1 large onion sliced
2 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 liters of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth-vegetable broth will make the dish vegetarian and the soup will be a little lighter in flavor
1/4 cup of unsalted butter
1/4 cup of flour
1/3 cup of cream optional
Salt and pepper to taste
Croutons and shaved parmesan for garnish
1. Take the sliced onion and saute in a little oil until golden brown and soft.
2. Separate roasted garlic from the bulbs by squeezing them out, they should be quite soft and easy to remove.
3. In a blender add 1/2 a litre of chicken stock and half of the sauteed onions and half of the roasted garlic, blend until smooth. Repeat with another 1/2 litre of chicken stock and the rest of the garlic and onion, blend until smooth.
4. In a soup pot melt the 1/4 cup of butter and then add the flour to make a roux.
5. Slowly whisk into the roux the last 1/2 litre of chicken stock and bring mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly. You want to cook out the flour flavor. When it has simmered for about 5 minutes it should coat the back of a spoon and have a smooth texture. Now add the blended garlic/onion mixture to the pot. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Bring again up to a simmer. Add the 1/3 cup of cream if you like, it’s optional.
6. You can use bought or homemade croutons for the garnish. Homemade are very easy to make. Cut bread into 1 inch chunks, 3 cups will do. Throw into a medium sized bowl and drizzle over the bread chunks about 1/4 cup of olive oil or melted butter. Season with salt and pepper and herbs or minced garlic it you like. Mix well. Place evenly on a baking sheet and bake in 350 F oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. You may need to move them around a little to make sure they brown all over.
7. Serve soup hot with a garnish of croutons and shaved parmesan.