With this recipe you can use nectarines or peaches, not just apricots. You could also add some citrus, like one orange or lemon, thinly sliced. This jam is made without pectin, there is a very simple list of ingredients. You will need a big pot to prepare this in, as the jam boils up double in size during the early stages of cooking.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Yield: about 10 cups
8 cups diced apricots
1/4 cup lemon juice
6 cups sugar
1. Sterilize your canning jars. I use the dishwasher method, but there are other methods you can use, I just find that way the easiest.
2. You will need 5 one pint(2 cup or 500 ml) jars or 10 half-pint(1 cup or 250 ml) jars
3. Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot.
4. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
5. Once mixture reaches a rolling boil, continue to boil it for about 30 minutes or until it reaches 220 degrees F. Stir frequently to prevent it from sticking. Once it reaches the above temperature, test for readiness of the jam by placing a teaspoon of the mixture onto a plate that you had left in the freezer for 15 minutes and allowing the jam to sit for 30 seconds. Tilt the plate, the mixture should be a soft gel that moves slightly. If the mixture is thin and runs easily, it is not ready.
6. When the jam is ready, remove from heat and fill the jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
7. Wipe rims clean and the 2 piece metal canning lids in place.
8. Put them back in the dishwasher for a cycle or in a canner with boiling water for 10 minutes.