1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey or a mix of ground turkey and ground pork, whatever you like. Just make sure it adds up to 1 pound.
100 grams(about 1/2 cup) of ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons each chopped fresh basil and oregano or 1 teaspoon each dried
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
Use 4 cups of your favorite sauce, homemade or jarred. I like Newman’s Own for a jarred brand if I am in a hurry.
Here are the ingredients for a basic tomato sauce:
800 ml tomato puree
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 cup red wine(optional but gives a nice depth to the flavor)
1 garlic clove finely minced
1 small tin of tomato paste (156 ml)
salt, pepper and sugar to taste
Add 2 tablespoons of fresh basil or oregano, or 1 teaspoon of each dried.
1. Mix all the above ingredients together well and form into golfball sized meatballs. Set aside. To test the meatballs for taste, cook a tablespoon of the mixture in a frying pan. Add more seasoning if you aren’t happy with the flavor.
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1. Add olive oil to a deep large pan or pot that is heated to a medium high temperature. Add onions and saute until clear, soft, light brown, takes about 5 minutes, turn heat down to medium and then add chopped garlic, cook for another minute(don’t burn). Add red wine, reduce to 1/4 cup. Add tomato paste, stir in well and then add tomato puree. Add salt, pepper, sugar to taste. Add dried herbs now( add fresh herbs when the meatballs are almost finished cooking.)
Let the tomato sauce simmer on medium low for 10 minutes.
2. Now carefully add the raw meatballs and let them gently simmer in the sauce for 30 minutes. Another option is cooking the meatballs in the oven for about 35 minutes in a 375 degree F oven, then add the fully cooked meatballs to the sauce for about 15 minutes before you serve dinner.
3. If using jarred sauce, heat the sauce to a boil and then add the raw meatballs, and turn down to a simmer.
4. Use a large stock pot to boil the water for the pasta. Add salt to the water to flavor the pasta. Bring the water up to boil and then add pasta and cook till al dente( just done,not too soft).
Serves about 4 adults- you will probably have leftovers.