I used white peaches to make this cobbler. The peaches are fresh, quite large, juicy and have a beautiful flavor. White peaches pull away from the pit easier than other peaches for some reason, so you have less waste. You can also use canned or your regular variety peaches(the ones with a peach colored flesh). There are many great recipes for peach cobbler. This recipe is a healthier version of it, not overly sweet and the fresh peach flavor really comes through.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk- I used buttermilk because I had it in the refrigerator-
3.5 cups peaches sliced into 1/4 inch wide slices(no need to peel) or 28 oz can of peaches- with canned peaches you won’t need to cook as long, probably about 45 minutes
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Melt butter in a 9 x 13 inch pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Stir in the egg and milk.
4. Pour evenly over melted butter.
5. Combine peaches, sugar and spices and spread over batter- DO NOT STIR INTO THE BATTER!
6. Bake 55 minutes for fresh peaches(you will need to cover with tinfoil at about 40 minutes, the edges will be getting quite brown but the middle will be undercooked). Bake for 45 minutes with canned peaches.
7. Serve warm with ice cream.