- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 spears fresh asparagus, trimmed-use thin asparagus spears, not too thick
- 8 slices prosciutto- sliced in half lengthwise, so now you have 16 pieces
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat with olive oil.
- Wrap one slice of prosciutto around each asparagus spear, starting at the bottom, and spiraling up to the tip. Place the wrapped spears on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove, and shake the pan back and forth to roll the spears over. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes, or until asparagus is tender, and prosciutto is crisp. Serve immediately. I used as an appetizer. This recipe serves around 4 people, I use it as an appetizer. You could also wrap 3-5 asparagus spears with an entire slice of proscuitto(not a half slice like for this appetizer)and use it as a side dish for a main course. You will need to cook it at a lower temperature, 375 degrees F and for a longer period of time, probably 20 minutes. I first learned of this delicious appetizer when my friend Johanne served it to us at her place, thanks buddy.
Still one of my favorites…Dan often cooks them on the barbq as well. Delicious!