This stuffed chicken recipe is a traditional combination of chicken, ham and swiss cheese. Serve this flavorful chicken dish with the mushroom sauce for a fabulous meal.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: around 30 minutes
4 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
4 thin slices of cooked ham of your choice
4 slices of swiss cheese
1 cup of flour
1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
4 cups of thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup white wine
3 tablespoons of flour
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped finely
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup cream(optional)
1. Place each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Pound gently to flatten, using a rolling pin or smooth side of meat tenderizer. Each chicken breast should be about 1/4 inch in thickness, when you are finished flattening it. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
2. Please set up a breading station, so that you are prepared. Flour, milk/egg mixture and breadcrumbs all in different containers ready to use. Have a pastry brush and toothpicks close by ready to use.
3. Combine beaten eggs with 1 cup of milk. Dip chicken pieces in mixture. Place a piece of ham and a piece of cheese in the center of each flattened piece of chicken. Brush top of cheese slices with the milk and egg mixture. Fold ends over the ham and cheese. Roll up, beginning with long side. Secure rolls with as many toothpicks as you need. Dredge entire roll into the flour and then dip into the milk/egg mixture. Roll in breadcrumbs to coat well. Place chicken rolls on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, so that the chicken rolls firm up. They will be easier to cook.
4. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in the bottom of a large heavy saute pan on medium heat. Fry chicken rolls for about 20 minutes, turning frequently, until golden brown. Drain well. Hold in 250 degree F oven until ready to serve.
5. For the mushroom sauce, melt butter and add oil to a medium /large sized saucepan over medium high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and onions to hot pan. Saute until browned about 8 minutes. Turn heat down to medium. Add white wine, cook for 1 minute. Now add flour, mix in well. Now gradually stir in the chicken broth. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to boil and thickens. Now add fresh thyme. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Now add 1/4 cup of cream to add some richness. Serve with the chicken rolls.