You can leave out the chicken in this dish if you like and make it a vegetarian dish. I wanted to add some protein to our meal, for my husbands sake. This is so flavorful and satisfying with fresh roti bread and cucumber yogurt sauce.
Yield: 6 cups or enough for 12 rotis
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon of oil
1 medium chopped onions
2 cups diced cooked potatoes
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 chicken breast halves cut into small dice
1 cup chick peas
1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach thawed with liquid squeezed out
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Dash of hot pepper sauce or chili powder
Salt to taste.
Yogurt Cucumber Sauce:
1 english cucumber, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Dash of lemon or lime juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 garlic clove finely chopped
Salt to taste
To make filling:
1. Saute chicken in oil until cooked and lightly browned in medium sized pan on medium high heat. This will take about 5 minutes.
2. Add onions, water, garlic, curry powder, cumin seeds and hot sauce to the chicken mixture. Cook until the onions are soft, about 8 minutes.
3. Add the diced cooked potatoes, chick peas and spinach. Cook for about 10 more minutes. Season with salt to taste. Cool and place in refrigerator overnight to let the flavors strengthen.
4. To make the cucumber yogurt sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
5. The next day reheat and place about 1/2 cup of curry mixture into the middle of each warmed roti. Fold one side over the mixture and then the other. Serve with the cucumber yogurt sauce or my favorite, a mango chutney.