I just dipped into my new cookbook, The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook(you can find it on amazon) and found some great ideas for recipes. I liked the fun idea of individual meatloaves or meatballs and I changed some of the ingredients to satisfy our tastebuds. Hope you enjoy it, this is comfort food at it’s best, especially served with the brown butter mashed potatoes.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1/4 cup of tomato paste
2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 pounds of extra lean ground beef- or use ground turkey if you prefer- any meat ground up would work.
2 slices of white bread
1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
1 medium carrot, cut into large chunks
1 medium celery stock, cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of ketchup
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
1. Combine the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Tear the bread into chunks and then blend it, in a food processor, into breadcrumbs. Place breadcrumbs into a large bowl. Add the chunks of onion, garlic, celery and carrot to the food processor and pulse it until they are finely chopped.
3. Heat a large pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add a little grapeseed oil, to coat the bottom of the pan, heat oil for a minute. Add the finely chopped vegetables(they will be a little juicy). Season with salt and pepper, stirring frequently , until they begin to brown, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the browned vegetables to the large bowl with breadcrumbs, then add the remaining ingredients. Stir the ingredients together until mixed well, but just mixed. With wet hands, form the mixture into 8 -3 inch meatballs. If you want a quicker cooking time make the meatballs smaller- I found the 3 inch in diameter size a perfect serving size.
5. Space meatballs so that they are not touching, in a baking dish. Brush each meatball with the glaze(spread evenly between meatballs) you made earlier and bake until cooked through, about 40 minutes, internal temperature of meatballs should be about 165 degrees F.
6. Serve on a bed of brown butter mashed potatoes or whatever side dish you prefer.