I just love these cookies, they so remind me of cookies we ate in Italy. If you find this recipe too large, halve it, it will still work out well. Buy the almond paste or make it, I have included a recipe for almond paste. This is a gluten free recipe, I use Rogers Icing Sugar and it has corn starch in it, corn starch is gluten free.
Yield: 48 cookies
- 16 ounces( 1 pound) almond paste
- 2 cups icing sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Put almond paste, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until crumbly, about 3 minutes. Add egg white and vanilla. Mix until smooth and thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Drop batter by tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. I found the cookies really stuck to the parchment paper, even after they had cooled, so I would lightly butter the parchment or use silicon liners on the baking sheet if you have them. Place 2 almond slices on each mound of dough. Bake until cookies are golden brown, 25 minutes. Turn pans 180 degrees halfway through baking time, so cookies brown evenly. Let cool for 10-15 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack. The cookies are delicate, so be gentle. Just before serving, lightly dust cookies with icing sugar.