This is a delicious twist on simple egg salad. The curry and mango chutney bring some spice and tangy sweetness to an everyday sandwich. It could also be served as an appetizer on little rye or pumpernickel toasts.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Makes 4 sandwiches or about 30 appetizers served on small toasts
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/2 cup mango chutney, my favorite name brand is Sharwood’s Major Grey Mango Chutney
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mild or medium curry powder-if using medium spiced curry powder, you might not need the cayenne pepper.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or green onions
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- A pinch of cayenne pepper, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices bread
1. If serving the egg salad on toast, or toasted rounds, start preparing the toast with the sliced bread while you prep the other ingredients.
2. Roughly chopped the peeled, hard boiled eggs and put them into a medium sized serving bowl. Use the tines of the fork to press against the cooked egg pieces to break them into smaller pieces.
3. Add the mango chutney, curry powder, salt, mayonnaise, chives(or green onion), celery, black pepper, and cayenne to the eggs. Mix until well combined.
4. Serve the curried egg salad on lettuce for a salad, or on sliced bread or toast for sandwiches. If making appetizers, use a pastry cutter to cut out rounds on either plain sliced bread or toast, then spread the egg salad over the rounds.