I used this chicken as an appetizer the other night. I love Ponzu sauce, which is a sort of citrus lime soy sauce, I see it in the grocery stores in the United States, but not so much here in Canada. You might be surprised to see dark rum as part of the marinade, fear not, you will hardly notice it, but it gives the chicken a unique flavor. Be brave and try something different, your guests will taste a little something special but won’t be able to put their finger on it.
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce- my favorite if China Lily
- 1 tablespoon of agave syrup or honey to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil (canola oil, grapeseed oil, peanut oil or other high smoke point oil)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika (hot or sweet)
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce- my favorite is China Lily
- 1 tablespoon of agave syrup or honey
1. Prepare marinade, stirring together lime juice, rum, soy sauce, and agave or honey in a bowl until well mixed. Add the chicken to the marinade and let marinate for a minimum of 1 hour and up to overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Pour enough oil in a heavy thick bottomed pan so that it comes up the sides at least a half an inch. Heat oil on medium high until a little pinch of flour sizzles when you drop it in the pan, you now know the oil is hot enough to use.
3. While the oil is heating, whisk together the flour, paprika, and salt in a bowl. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and transfer to a plate.
4. Fry the chicken in about 3 batches, about 3 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. (If the chicken is browning too quickly, reduce the heat a bit). Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
5. Whisk together the dipping sauce and serve with the hot sauce and lime wedges on the side.