I love caramelized onions, they give such an amazing flavor to any meal, whether a burger, quiche, soup or this potato dish. Roasted peppers, mushrooms or beets can be added to the potatoes , I just happened to have cherry tomatoes on hand. You could also toss through some baby spinach or arugula while the potatoes are still warm, so that the leaves wilt a little. My French Onion Soup or French Onion Toast recipes will give you a very good description of how to caramelize onions properly.
1/4 cup of olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons extra of oil
2 pounds of baby potatoes cut in half- red or white will do.
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup of hardier fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme and oregano
1 large onion thinly sliced and caramelized
2 cups of cherry tomatoes, slow roasted
1/2 cup of coarsely chopped fresh dill, parsley, chives, basil or tarragon- use which ever ones are your favorite, mix them up.
1. In a heavy thick bottomed pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-low heat; cook onion, stirring often, until light brown, about 45 minutes, to caramelize onions properly it takes time.
2. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss potatoes in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. In another bowl toss cherry tomatoes( I used yellow but red are fine) with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Sprinkle the hardier herbs on the bottom of a parchment lined baking sheet, then top with the potatoes and cherry tomatoes.
5. Roast until the potatoes are tender and brown on the edges, 30-35 minutes, the tomatoes will be ready at the same time.
6. Transfer the potatoes, caramelized onions and roasted cherry tomatoes to a serving bowl and toss with the 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped dill, parsley, chives, basil or tarragon. Do not transfer over the hardier herbs that were baked in the oven, they will be too tough. They were placed on the bottom of the pan to transfer some flavor to the potatoes and tomatoes. This dish can be served hot or just at room temperature.
Oops thought I had commented on this recipe…it was delicious and I loved the Caramel onion touch