This is not an everyday side dish to serve for dinner but fairly simple and a little different. Try using different herbs, like chives and dill and a variety of cheeses, like gruyere, emmental(swiss) or asiago. If you don’t have dried bread crumbs, freshly processed bread crumbs will also work.
2 vine-ripened tomatoes
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Slice tomatoes in half horizontally and scoop out the pulp and seeds. Chop up the pulp and seeds a little to add to the stuffing later.
3. Sprinkle a little salt on the inside of the scooped out tomatoes, turn upside down on a wire rack to extract juices, about 15 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl mix together bread crumbs, garlic, basil, pepper, 1/4 cup of grated parmesan, chopped up pulp and seeds and olive oil.
5. Stuff tomatoes with the filling, sprinkle with remaining parmesan and bake until tomatoes are cooked through and the tops are golden brown, about 30-35 minutes.